Mare & Foal
The Herd is Growing!
A new foal is an exciting time in a horse owner’s life. Chances are your routine has changed in the barn and there might be some high pitched knickers to greet you! Feeding time has also changed.
In the early stages of a foal’s life their nutrition is crucial to give them a good start. Since milk is their primary food at this time, this must be addressed with the nutrition of the lactating mare. The mare now requires more energy, protein, fat, minerals and vitamins to recover from foaling, produce milk to feed her foal all while preparing her for rebreeding. Lactation is very demanding and can take a toll on the mare’s body if not cared for properly. Her nutrient intake should be equal to or greater than what she is putting out in her milk plus what she requires to maintain her own body composition.
The mare produces roughly 24 lbs. of milk a day for the five month lactation period. She will require two to three percent of her body weight in feed intake daily. She will need high quality hay, concentrate feed, a mineral block and access to pasture, if available. It’s important to break up concentrate feed into smaller meals to avoid digestive problems. Keep in mind that her nutrient needs will decrease once she enters late lactation and the foal is weaned. Be sure to adjust her diet accordingly.
Ingredients to Support Your Mare & Foal’s Health and Growth
KAUFFMAN’S Premium Equine Supplements offer multiple products that can provide the following ingredients known to support mares through lactation and raise healthy, fast growing foals.
- Protein & Energy- amino acids Lysine, Methionine and Threonine support the mare during recovery from birth and lactation and support the rapidly growing foal
- Probiotics– helps maintain normal digestive health and support a healthy immune system in the mare and foal
- Fat- important for the broodmare’s body composition and energy the foal needs
- Digestive Enzymes– helps support proper digestion in the mare and foal
- Minerals- Calcium, Phosphorus and other trace minerals support the foal’s development through the mare’s milk
- Antioxidants- Vitamins E, A and D are necessary for lactation to support the growing foal and help the mare during recovery from foaling
Choose KAUFFMAN’S® to Promote Good Health in Your Mare & Foal!
It’s important to evaluate your mare and foal’s diets as their needs change. Add a supplement to your mare’s diet to support her during lactation and rebreeding, and to your foal’s diet to support proper digestion, their immune system and during their rapid development.
KAUFFMAN’S Premium Equine Supplements on this page, including KA-HI Horse Supplement, contain many of the above ingredients that can help promote the health and well-being of your mare and foal.