Breeding & Gestation
A Healthy Mare Equals a Healthy Foal
Do you operate a breeding facility or own a horse that’s pregnant? There are a lot of factors that come into play when producing a healthy foal. The genetics and bloodlines play a role, but a healthy foal starts with your broodmare’s health & nutrition!
A mare’s gestation period is roughly 11-12 months and good nutrition is crucial during the first trimester and last trimester. The foal develops slowly for the first seven months, but the first trimester is when the fetus develops and nutrition is necessary for fertility. Broodmares should be fed at maintenance level at this time. Amino acids, protein, minerals and vitamins should all be present in the mare’s diet.
The mare’s dietary needs change during the late gestation period. The fetus is now growing rapidly and the mare’s energy, protein and mineral intake requirements increase significantly. They are now consuming roughly 15-20 lbs. of hay a day and 6-8 lbs. of feed to support themselves and their growing foal. It is important to support the mare’s digestive system through the gestation period so they can properly utilize the feedstuffs and minerals they are consuming.
Benefits of Supplementing During Breeding & Gestation
Proper nutrition and maintaining a healthy mare during gestation is key to producing a healthy foal, reducing the rebreeding time period and improving conception rates.
KAUFFMAN’S® Premium Equine Supplements offer multiple products that provide the following ingredients known to support mares’ overall health and nutrition through the breeding and gestation period.
- Protein- amino acids, including Lysine, Methionine and Threonine support tissue development in the fetus
- Probiotics- helps maintain normal digestive health and supports a healthy immune system in the broodmare
- Fat– important for the broodmare’s body composition and supply energy needed during pregnancy
- Digestive Enzymes– helps support proper digestion and gut health
- Minerals- Calcium, Phosphorus and other trace minerals support cartilage and bone development in the fetus
- Antioxidants- Vitamins E and A support the broodmare’s bone density and immune system
Choose KAUFFMAN’S® Premium Equine Supplements for Your Breeding Program!
Consider adding a supplement to your mare’s diet to support her digestive system, energy and protein levels and the development of her foal.
The KAUFFMAN’S Premium Equine Supplements on this page, including Equine Gold™, contain many of the above ingredients that can help promote healthy breeding and gestation.